Sunday, July 31, 2011

What's Your Favorite Back-to-School Activity?-Linky Party

   Mechanical Pencil clip art  One activity that I love to do at the beginning of the school year is an "All About Me" book. Each student creates his/her own book and, as the title suggests, it's all about them. There are so many different ways to do this, and I think every year I do it a little differently. Sometimes, I will write suggestions of different topics they can write about to discuss themselves (favorite foods, sports they like, games they play, favorite subject, etc.), but I have also dictated what to include in the past. You could do this as an ABC book, which would be fun as well.
     I typically give my students construction paper for the front and back cover of their books. The cover illustrations should be a self-portrait. You can either staple the books together, or punch holes and use string (sometimes I let me students decide how they want to bind their books together). When this project is completed, they each share their books within their groups, and I then include the books in our class library so all the students have access to them.
    Enchanted Learning has an "All About Me" book template that I might use this time around. Click here for the book template. If you end up doing this activity, I would love to hear how it goes!

Want to join this linky party?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What in The World Are We Doing With Grades?

     If you've been following my blog for a while, you already know I am not a fan of grades. However, I felt the need to explain my s...