Thursday, August 4, 2011

Example of a week unit based on Understanding by Design

    Here is one of my weekly units that I designed based on UbD. I  thought this might help to see how a unit is actually put together. Again, I am not an expert on UbD, but I do love the idea behind it and do my best to design in its intended format. You'll see that I have all my subjects here. One of my goals for this following year is to do a better job at integrating subjects.

Click here to see one of my units

2 comments:

  1. OK. After 15 minutes, I finally figured out why I was being bocked from commenting. Yay!

    I really like your plans! My big ideas are basically defined by the standards, so I'm working on my cupboard words for this year. And then I can start planning! Woot!

    Question: Do you write your assessments first and then plan? This was suggested to me at a PD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I write my assessments first, and then design the activities around them. This is really the whole point behind UbD. It's based on a backwards design, so where we would typically write our lesson plans first and then assessments afterwards, UbD says to know how you are assessing first. It makes a lot of sense because it ensures that all of your lessons help your students reach those learning goals. It's a great way of planning, and I love it! But, it is a lot of work, or at least it is initially. It's really meant for grade-level teams to do together, but I have been doing it by myself. It gets much easier after you have been planning this way for a while. After planning using UbD, I really do feel like my units are much more meaningful, because I have that big picture in mind from start to finish, and it's all centered around these big, meaningful ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete

Teaching To Each Learner

               Recently, I recorded a three-part mini series podcast all about teaching to each learner. I find that it is this very ar...