Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Weekly Menu

   I am definitely on a budget, and this week seems tighter than ever. You will see that reflected in this week's menu (please remember I only plan 5 dinners a week, as we tend to either eat out on the weekend, or figure something out last minute). I find stews and soups are the best when you are on a budget.

Remember, it's so much better making your own dinners. You have better control of what you are eating, and it tends to be so much healthier for you. I always create a menu for myself so when we do our grocery shopping, I know exactly what I am getting (which makes grocery shopping, something I hate, faster and less expensive).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday: Tortas with Ham

     *This is fast, easy, and delicious. I like to make this when I low on energy, or short on time*

1 bagget per person
4 slices of ham per bagget
mayonnaise
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced onion
cheese (optional)
guacamole (optional)
Jalapenos (optional, for heat)

Directions:

Toast baggets in the oven
Spread baggets with mayonnaise and guacamole
Layer with ham and cheese
Top with tomatoes and onions and jalapenos

Directions for homemade guacamole:

Use 4-5 ripe avocados and smash with a fork
Add just a touch of mayonnaise, and sprinkle with salt and pepper
Use a squeeze of lime juice to keep it from browning


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday: Chicken noodle Soup

    *This is the best homemade chicken noodle soup. My family loves it. It's filling, hearty, and healthy. It's also a great dish for fall.*


4 Carrots (I like to dice them as they cook faster that way)
2 slices of onions chopped
4 celery stems (diced)
3 potatoes (diced)
3/4 small bag of noodles (I use fideo noodles)
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3-4 garlic cloves minced
2-3 bay leaves
2-3 dried chili pepper for heat (optional, and some chilies are hotter than others, so you really need to know your chilies) 
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Dice all your vegetables
2) Put a pot of water to boil. Add bouillon cubles, and herbs and spices, tomato sauce, and garlic. Boil.
3) In a separate pot, put your chicken breasts to boil.
4) When the soup begins to boil, add your vegetables and bring to a simmer.
4) I typically allow my chicken soup to cook 1-2 hours because the longer it cooks, the more flavorful it becomes.
5) After chicken breasts have cook (about 30 minutes), place them in a bowl and use 2 forks to shred them. Wait until about your last 20 minutes of cooking the chicken soup to add the chicken.
6) Once you have added your chicken, and the soup is almost done, add the noodles (fideo noodles take about 3-5 minutes to cook), and then serve.
Fideo noodles













-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday: Tuna Melt

 *Here is another fast and easy dinner*

Canned tuna (I use about 4 cans, but I have a family of 3)
onion (just a couple of slices, diced)
mayonnaise
salt and pepper
Sliced bread
Sliced cheese
French fries

I am sure we have all made tuna melts before, but here are the directions in any case:

Mix tuna, mayonnaise (just a touch, about a tablespoon, and depending on how much tuna you are using),  onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Layer with a slice of cheese.

Add the mixture in between your sliced bread, butter the outside of the bread, and toast.

I usually make french fries to go with this. Tomato soup is another nice side to have with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday: Lentil and vegetable soup

  * a new dish I have not yet made*

I plan on making this exactly the way I make the chicken soup, except I will not have chicken, and I will use pasta shells instead of fideo. I will, however, provide you with the link that inspired me to make this dish (its recipe is different than the way I plan on making mine).

Click here for the lentil recipe, or just follow my chicken noodle soup recipe instead



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Friday: Chicken tender loins
Pinned Image

* I have never made this dish before, but it looks delicious. I will include a link to it that explains all the ingredients needed, as well as provides the instructions*

I am making mine with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Click here for the recipe


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas on this wonderful blog! I want to share the Sunshine Award with you! Check out my blog for the award button and the rules. Happy Monday!

    Christine

    hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    Sometimes menu planning can be tough and on a budget. I am so glad I found you. My blog ( which I just started this past week ) is a little bit of motherhood, recipes and teaching tips too. I love mixing it all up. I will visit you often...I am your newest follower. Come by and check me out. ~ Vicky
    http://traditionslaughterandhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com
    http://www.vickymoore2.com
    :o)

    ReplyDelete

Starting Strong: 6 Things to Keep in Mind as You Begin the New School Year

         The beginning of the school year is such a special time of year. Teachers excitedly get their classrooms set up, organized and d...