Saturday, February 25, 2012

Finally Seeing Growth

   I just can't believe it's already February (really closer to March now at this point). I look at my students and see they have made huge growth by now. My kids have turned into super writers. Even my lowest one no longer requires sentence frames. He's doing it all by himself (this is a great thing because I have a new student who requires a lot of small group, and one-on-one help).  A handful of my students can write a whole page now, and insist on doing so (be mindful that I don't require that, though). This is an exciting time in the school year, in my opinion, because now we begin to see real growth.  I hear my kids using words that weren't even in their vocabulary at the beginning of the school year, and working so well in their groups that they explain and question things before even coming to me (most of the time). Oh the bliss of being half way through the school year.
   What about the growth you've seen in your own classes? I would love to hear about it. 

2 comments:

  1. That's great! our growth has been somewhat slow...but it is steady =)
    Jennifer

    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the progress your kiddos are making. Mine are making steady progress. One in particular has really taken off! He's a low EL kid but can put his thoughts down in complete (not always gramatically correct) sentences, and although his spelling is incorrect it's now readable (at least to me). I'm quite proud of him. I was wondering if you use any kind of rubric with your kids? My school uses Write From the Beginning, but I'm looking for a good kid-friendly rubric if you know of any. Thanks!
     Chrissy

    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete

Teaching To Each Learner

               Recently, I recorded a three-part mini series podcast all about teaching to each learner. I find that it is this very ar...