Monday, July 28, 2014

How to Use Google Calendar to do a Pacing Calendar

     It´s no secret that I love Google. If you´ve seen my last two posts, you know that by now. In the past year I have started to use Google like never before. I don´t pretend to know even half of what I can do with Google, but I do know a little bit and today and tomorrow I will share a few tips on how to use Google calendar to help make planning your pacing calendar easier. If you don´t already have a free Google account go and do that. Now. You can do that here.
      Ok, so now you have your Google account. One of the applications available to you in your new Google bundle of joy is the Google calendar. I have various calendars, and one of them is my pacing calendar (titled ¨pacing guide¨ on my calendar). What I have done is map out the various concepts and skills throughout the year and plan it on the actual calendar. Like with any pacing calendar, this took some time. I did this over several weeks. So, while somewhat time consuming, it can now be shared with my entire grade-level team. As you can see, the date appears at the top. Since I plan by week, I decided to count the weeks (week 1, week 2, etc.) on each Sunday for easy viewing. Now, one thing that made this time-consuming was that for each subject I created a new entry (language arts, writing, math, etc.). I could have lumped them all together, but it was difficult for me to focus on what was actually on my pacing calendar that way. So, I did each as its own entry. You will want to decide which way looks the most appealing and works best for you. A great feature of the Google calendar is you can assign a beginning and end date. So, if I have a unit for 6 weeks all I have to do is assign the beginning and end dates and it will show up over that six-week period.  
     That´s pretty much it. It´s not complicated at all. I hope you find this helpful. I would love to hear from you if you plan on using Google Calendar or already use it.
Pacing Calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment

What in The World Are We Doing With Grades?

     If you've been following my blog for a while, you already know I am not a fan of grades. However, I felt the need to explain my s...